Salona (Greek: Σάλωνα), the ancient metropolis of the Roman province of Dalmatia, located on the central part of the eastern Adriatic coast. It was the capital of the Roman province, but was abandoned during the migration and later the Croatian medieval town of Solin, developed east of the ruins of the ancient city.
Salona is located 6 kilometers north of Split in today’s city Solin. Originally Salona was a coastal stronghold and port of the Illyrian Delmata near Tragurion and Epetion, colonies which in the 3rd century BC. Kr. founded by the Issei Greeks. At that time, in addition to native Illyrians and Greek settlers, a large number of Romans lived in Salona. During the Roman conflicts with the Illyrians for supremacy on the eastern Adriatic coast, in Salona in 119 BC. Kr. the Roman proconsul Lucius Caecilius Metellus, who was nicknamed Dalmaticus because of his victories over the Illyrians, stayed there.
After the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, in 48 BC. Salona received the status of a Roman colony with the full title of Colonia Martia Ivlia Salona, and became the center of Illyricum, later the province of Dalmatia.
After the suppression of the last Illyrian rebellion (Baton’s Uprising, from the 6th to the 9th year), a period of peace and prosperity began for Salona, visible through urban development and strong construction activity.
The old city core was trapezoidal in shape, surrounded by walls and fortified with towers, some parts of which date from the 2nd century BC. The eastern section of the city walls built of large stone blocks with gates bordered by octagonal towers from the time of Augustus (Porta Caesarea) has been preserved to this day. There was a road from them, one direction of which turned towards the southeast and south, while the other led north towards the interior.
Salona Tusculum
All movable and immovable monuments located in situ at the Salona sites, inside and outside the walls of the ancient city, on an area slightly larger than 9 hectares, are preserved in the museum collection called the Salona Collection and the Salona site. The Collection also stores movable archaeological objects found during large-scale systematic, audit and protective research, which the Archaeological Museum in Split has been conducting in Salona since 1970, independently or in collaboration with domestic and foreign experts.
Objects that are the result of protective archaeological research in the wider area of the city of Solin, which were carried out by experts from the Conservation Office in Split and some private archaeological companies, are also preserved. Movable material is located in depots in Tusculum, the regional museum building at Manastirine in Solin, and the main museum building in Split. The Archaeological Museum, which has been taking care of Salona and its sites since its inception, in 1988 formed a working unit for Salona for better protection and presentation. In order to better professional and scientific processing of finds, the Museum formed a new collection in 1996 called the Archaeological Collection and Site of Salona, which in 2005 received its current name, the Auxiliary Collection and Site of Salona. So far, about 12,000 objects have been registered in the museum collection.
In Tusculum, a regional building of the Museum located next to the ruins of the early Christian basilica in Manastirine, a smaller part of the movable finds is exhibited. They are located in the Don Frane Bulić Memorial Room and in the entrance area next to the reception. The building was built in 1898 according to the ideas and initiative of Don Frane Bulic, the famous director of the Archaeological Museum, for the needs of archaeological and research work in the field and for numerous visitors to the ancient city. Bulić named the building Tusculum, after the name of the favorite picnic spot of the Roman aristocracy, where the great ancient writer and orator Cicero also owned a luxurious villa. The facade of the building was decorated by Bulić with architectural and ornamental fragments originating from the Salonitan localities and from the old Romanesque bell tower of the Split cathedral. The motif of the Good Shepherd dear to Bulić stands out in the aedicula on the southern facade of the house, in front of which stretches a garden with a fountain and a walkway between stone columns decorated with capitals of different styles. Stone monuments that do not come from Manastirine are exhibited in the garden: early Christian sarcophags, altars, parts of architectural plastic and inscriptions.
There are three rooms on the first floor. The largest one, which once housed the Biblioteca patria, functions as a meeting hall with a handy library, and the two smaller ones are used for the work of museum curators and other employees. In the attic, there is a space for the preparation of technical documentation of the site and findings, a space for the work of the technical department staff (architects, conservators and draftsmen), and the basement of the building serves as a depot for storing stone monuments. Conservation and restoration work is carried out in internal and external workshops, with an emphasis on preliminary processing of finds and stone restoration. The house, which until recently housed the apartment for the caretaker of the Salone site, was remodeled as an additional space for a workshop on the ground floor and a depot in the attic. The room on the floor of the eastern part of Tusculum was given a multipurpose function, for additional exhibition activity, presentations, lectures, projections, educational workshops, etc.

Don Frane Bulić
Don Frane Bulić, a distinguished Croatian archaeologist, historian, antiquities conservator and art historian, was born on October 4, 1846 in Vranjic near Split. He studied theology in city Zadar. After completing theology and priestly ordination in 1869, he completed his studies in classical philology and archeology at the University of Vienna. As a trained archaeologist, he became the manager of the archaeological museum in Split, and in 1878 he was also entrusted with the duty of conservator responsible for the preservation of cultural and historical antiquities in the entire area of Dalmatia.
With his archaeological discoveries, he made the greatest contribution to the knowledge of early Christian and ancient Croatian history in the area of Dalmatia. He led archaeological excavations in many Dalmatian places, especially in Solin.
Buy tickets for Salonu:
Adult:
Children or student or disabled person:
Working hours and contact
From April 1 to May 31:
• from Monday to Saturday: 9:00 – 19:00
• Sunday: 9:00 – 13:00
From June 1 to August 31:
• from Monday to Saturday: 9:00 – 20:00
• Sunday: 9:00 – 14:00
From September 1 to 30
• from Monday to Saturday: 9:00 – 19:00
• Sunday: 9:00 – 13:00
From October 1 to 31:
• from Monday to Saturday: 9:00 – 18:00
• Sunday: 9:00 – 13:00
From November 1 to March 31:
• from Monday to Friday: 9:00 – 16:00
• Saturday: 9:00 – 14:00
• Sunday: closed
We do not work on holidays.
Other part of the year with an announcement on tel. 021/329-340.
Contact
Tel. 021/212-900
Fax: 021/280-790
E-mail: info@armus.hr

address:
Tusculum, the regional building of the Archaeological Museum in Split
Don Frane Bulića 91, Manastirine, 21 210 Solin
HOW TO GET TO THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM of Tusculum Salona?
By foot, Half an hour on foot from the center of Solin
A few minutes’ walk from the Hotel Salona Palace bus stop
By bus Bus line no. 1
By car
Parking zone
Free Large free parking near the site
ACCESS FOR VISITORS WITH DISABILITIES
partially, uneven terrain
free entry on Mondays.
Professional guidance and guides information
Prices and languages of guidance
Professional guidance informator (Croatian/English language) according to the Collection and location of the Salona – €50, HRK 376.72, per group
Professional guidance by a curator (Croatian/English language) according to the Collection and location of the Salona – €70, HRK 527.41, per group
Extraordinary opening of the Archaeological Museum in Split, the Reference Collection and the Salon site and the Issa Reference Collection €50, HRK 376.72
Group visits
Discounts Pensioners and people with disabilities: free entry on Mondays.
Members of ICOMOS, ICOM, HMD, HAD, AIHV and other professional associations: free entry upon presentation of ID.
The prices of tickets and professional guidance are increased by 50% for visits outside working hours and for visits during public holidays.
Entry is free for tour guides accompanying the group.
Paid and unpaid photography
Event recording by contract, per hour,
Advertising, publicity spots – €150, HRK 1130.17
Photography – €50, HRK 376.72
Wedding – €400, HRK 3,013.80
Children’s birthdays (3 hours) – €70, HRK 527.41
Banquet – €200, HRK 1506.88
Space rental
Information on request.
021/329-349
E-mail: info@armus.hr
Museum shops and contents
The museum shops in the Archaeological Museum in Split and the regional collections at its archaeological sites in Issa and Salona have the same range of museum souvenirs and publications. These are original museum souvenirs and publications published by the Museum. The shops are also a gallery of original items on the basis of which souvenirs were made, and the cover of publications, with summary legends and prices.
Close to cafe or museum cafe, water dispenser
Yes, close to cafes and hotels, there is a juice and water vending machine at the entrance to Tusculum and at the entrance to the amphitheater inside Parać House.
Toilet
There are two points for the toilet Tusculum and House Parać near amphiteatre
Entertainment for children and children’s workshops
Children’s birthday parties (3 hours) – €70, 527.41
Children’s workshops – €4, HRK 30.13
Duration of the tour
Adequate behavior and dress
Warnings high temperature, rough terrain














